Press releases are still a powerful method to drive sales, traffic and engagement. Despite the claims of some that it is no longer a useful marketing technique, companies can still use it to spread the word about their brand or products.
Distributing press release makes it possible for a brand to bring their story in front of the media and customers. With several options to choose from, which distribution service can deliver the best results?
The more informed you are, the more successful results you can generate.
What is a press release distribution?
Distributing release is the method by which news about a brand is transferred to journalists, news and media outlets to reach a larger market. Companies hire online distribution services, so that their news are syndicated by local and national publications and tens of thousands of journalists.
What is the best possible option for brands?
There are numerous paid services, like Newswire, PR Newswire and BusinessWire, and there are also free sites that offer publishing releases for free. Paid sites offer different packages, features and media reach.
Advantages of using paid distribution:
- They offer writing of press release distribution services. If your company is new and you find it difficult to craft a release, they offer this added service for additional fee.
- It is cost-effective because you get what you pay for. It can be an extra cost for your marketing campaign, but it gives great results.
- Brands get wider reach. Releases are published in different sites and locations, such as online sites, portals, search engines and databases.
- Companies have the choice to select whether they want their story to be published locally, nationally or in regional level. It all depends on the package you choose.
- Reporters can subscribe to RSS feeds on the site. You get a better chance of getting media coverage.
- You get to know the progress and performance of your releases because they give tracking reports. You get to know how many people read your release, unique visitors, monthly page views, and its location online.
- If you have concerns about your release, you can get in touch with their 24×7 help desk assistant.
The only disadvantage of using paid services is that some marketers don’t get the level of publicity they want. They expect bigger media coverage than what they received.
If you want to go further, you may combine paid services with another press release distribution tactic. This can help you get better publicity.
Pitching to Journalists
Pitching to journalists and building relationships with them is a stronger method of reaching out and getting your story into their hands. When you directly connect with them, you have better chances of exceeding the coverage that you want for your brand. The result can be magnified if you combine paid services and reaching out to the press.
Advantages of pitching to the press:
- You get to know your target journalists.
- You get better chances of coverage.
- You can harvest more and bigger publicity.
- Your relationship can be long-lasting.
- You get free publicity.
Startups and small businesses may be enticed to try free services because they don’t have to pay anything. Startups and small businesses usually don’t have a big budget to start with. Before getting free services, stay informed of the things that you need to know.
Advantages of Free Services:
- You get your news published on their websites.
Using free distribution services doesn’t guarantee results. Your news can get published on their sites, but only for a short time. Usually, these sites offer clients to upgrade if they want their news to be syndicated by other sites.
Another thing that you should be aware of is that links and Google ads are included in your releases. Some links trick users to click off the page to their competitor’s sites.
Before using any kind of distribution sites, make sure that you know the possible outcome. Learning how you can benefit from it is the best way you can go.
It’s also wise if you can shop around and check for reviews and feedback from their previous clients. Don’t just book for distribution providers without checking their information.